Book Review "Anna Dressed in Blood"

Photo taken from Kendare Blake's Website.




Cas comes from a long line of ghosts killers and picked up where his father left off after he was brutally murdered by one of the very ghosts he was hunting. Cas's plan is to get vengeance on the ghost that murder his father, but only after he feels he has gained enough experience. He is venturing on what he expects is an ordinary job in Canada with a ghost that is known as Anna Dressed in Blood. Anna is unlike any ghost he has ever encountered. It is as if Anna consists of two very different people. One is angry and vengeful while one is compassionate. Cas has no idea what is store for him on this journey.
 

Kendare Blake straddles the line of YA and Adult. She has a way with words that really enables the reader to envision what is happening. I enjoyed the book a lot, and it is definitely a book that is hard to put down. Cassandra Clare (the author of the Mortal Instruments) said, "Anna Dressed in Blood is a dark and intricate tale, with a hero who kills the dead but is half in love with death himself. By the end of the book, you will be too. Spellbinding and romantic."  It has an interesting love story that people will never see coming. It also has a villain that is completely unexpected. Blake is not afraid to use gore and blood. She also has a way of truly capturing today's teenager. Teenager's are brutal and unforgiving, and Blake shows that. She also isn't afraid of the "f" word. That makes me love her more. 

The downside of this story for me was that I felt there was something missing. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but there was something lacking in the story. There was more story to be told. I felt as if part it had been taken away. I am not sure if this was Blake's doing or her editor's. I don't want to give away any of the story line because I want you to read it yourself so I won't tell you what I believe it was. There is a sequel to "Anna Dressed in Blood," but I have not read it yet. I believe that Blake has the potential to be great, but hasn't quite hit that mark yet. 

To Read or Not to Read: Absolutely Read
1-5 stars: a solid 4
Will I Read the Next in the Series: Yes


Have you read this book? Let me know what you think in the comments below.

Quote taken from the Kendare Blake Webpage.